As part of our on-going effort to provide you with information on the missionaries/ministries GracePoint supports as a church, please read the following written by Travis Zimmerman, co-founder of A Faithful Dad (formerly Speak My Word Ministry).
I’m Pastor Travis Zimmerman. I graduated from Chambersburg (PA) High School, earned a Penn State University Aerospace Engineering B.S. degree, a Webster University MBA, and a Liberty University MA in Theological Studies. I also served as a US Air Force officer as well as the national sales manager for Sight & Sound Theatres, and, by God’s grace, I’m a licensed pastor through the Evangelical Free Church of America. With God’s help, I’ve overcome unemployment three times, conquered a 16-year addiction, and taken care of my bride, Suzanne, after a horrible accident.
In obedience to God’s repeated call to speak His Word, Suzanne and I co-founded A Faithful Dad back in 2009. We love raising and homeschooling our five kids: Elizabeth (Messiah College); Koen (11th grade); Trey (9th grade); Grant (7th grade); and Braden (3rd grade). After six years of serving a broad range of Christian demographics, God gently directed our board in June 2015 to focus on dads and hone our message to them. Over the past year and a half, the Spirit guided our ministry board to focus our brand and our message to faithful dads: to be a faithful dad we need to follow the faithful Father! Thus, Speak My Word Ministries is now A Faithful Dad. We serve faithful dads locally in various men’s small groups, one-on-one meetups, and even prisons, and we serve faithful dads nationally at men’s retreats, camps and conference centers, and targeted church events.
A Faithful Dad’s key verse of 1 Corinthians 11:1 is rooted in the Apostle Paul’s wisdom to his followers, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.” Our vision is clear: Follow Jesus. Lead your family. Leave a legacy. Our mission is straightforward: We equip fathers to become faithful dads. And our tagline reminds of the crucial importance of being a faithful dad: Your biggest job. Our greatest passion. Accordingly, we’ve…
- Written a new book entitled A Faithful Dad’s Guide to Legacy (available on Amazon.com); you can read the most critical, gut-wrenching chapter of the book available for a free download by clicking HERE. You’ve been warned!
- Produced A Faithful Dad’s Guide to Legacy small group DVD (also available on Amazon.com), and
- Created, in support of the book’s legacy focus, A Faithful Dad’s Legacy Challenge app (available free on Apple App Store or Google Play).
We rejoice in God’s direction for our ministry, but, as you can imagine, there’s quite a bit of retooling to do! So, while our demographic focus has shifted to faithful dads, our focus on Christ remains our goal and passion!
So, we’d really appreciate your prayers to Jesus:
- Please pray for us that we continue to obediently follow Him.
- Secondly, as several of my mentors have taught me in the past year, it’s vital for the livelihood of our ministry and my family for me to focus on raising up our local support team. Since May, in God’s good pleasure, I’ve enjoyed sharing God’s vision for our ministry with between 3 to 10 appointments each week. If you sense the Spirit stirring in your heart, I’d love to catch breakfast, lunch, or dinner with you! Simply call me at 717.443.5000 or drop me an email at Travis@AFaithfulDad.org.
Lastly, it’s been five years since my bride’s horrific slip-and-fall, and we are still seeing specialists at Johns Hopkins, Penn State Hershey Med, and Philly orthopedic surgeons. Suzanne continues to struggle with daily pain. We covet your prayers for her complete healing and for our family as we care for her.